We have learned to put up with a lot of things different from what we are used to in the states. However, I doubt that I can deal successfully with the stove/oven that we have here. 2 out of 4 burners are electric. The other 2 are gas and don't work, or there is no gas. The oven dial has no temperature gage on it, so we assume that straight down is 350 degrees, but it is not certain, and we have to watch it carefully. On top of that there are no racks except a tray on the bottom that cannot be moved. So all the food in their pans are placed on a upsidedown bread tin I put in there to get the food a little bit off the bottom. Along with the not very fine sugar the brownies I baked today turned out alright, but not great. Plus, when the oven is on, the dials and the door are so hot I have to use a hotpad to open the door or turn the dials of the oven. Ouch.
During my 3 a.m. insomnia I usually get up and read the scriptures. Last night, as I lay awake worrying about the quanty of work we have to catch up on and complete during the next few weeks, I thought to myself that this is the time when I usually receive inspiration. So, I said, "What inspiration do you have for me tonight." and immediately the thought came to me to check the computer files and hard copies to see what needs to be done with the attendance and other areas. I got up, looked at the files and became concerned that we could not possibly do all of this, it is overwhelming. Then I received an answer to the problem as to how to do all of this, with the help of the Zone Leaders and other missionaries. It is amazing what happens when you ask for inspiration and you are in a position to pay attention to what is given. The promise is there, we just have to be willing to ask, and it will be given to us.
Car parking throughout Bulgaria is a premium. As we mentioned before, they park their cars on the sidewalks as well as on the sides of the streets. Several days ago we went to the postoffice to mail a letter and when we came back to the car, it was not to be seen. For what ever the reason, instead of giving us a ticket (they don't do that here) they just impound your car and tow it off to a large parking lot near the football stadium. It cost us about $25 to get it back, plus another $5 for the taxi. We still don't know why they chose our car as we were not in a 'no parking' zone to our knowledge. It was a real challenge communicating with a policeman standing on the sidewalk near where our car had been parked. We finally had to call the missionaries who talked to the police on our cell phone. He wrote on a piece of paper where we could get our car. We gave the paper to a taxi driver and presto, we were soon at the lot showing our passports to the impounding officer and after paying the fine, we were driving again.
5 comments:
I just returned from a 3 week visit to Lanie and family in Portland and am catching up on emails. As always, it is great to read your blog and hear about your experiences. It makes us so homesick for our mission. It is great that you get to spend so much time with the jr. missionaries....something we didn't get to do very much. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you but no one can do it better than the two of you. You are in our prayers daily.
I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to deal with an oven/stove like that. But look on the bright side - at least you don't have to cook over an open fire when it's time for you to make your meals!
Sorry, I forgot to ask you how you make it so that your blog doesn't allow anonymous comments. Could you let me know how to do it? THANK YOU!
Looking very good. Enjoy reading your blog
Glad to hear that you're busy with the work. The girls continue to pray for you that you will have FUN on your mission, we hope that that is the case. LOVE YA
Post a Comment