CURVES AND POTHOLES
Several weeks ago as Sister Andersen and I traveled from Stara Zagora to Velico Turnovo, we couldn’t help but admire the beautiful scenery. The fruit trees were in bloom; the grape vines were shooting out green leaves, and the mountains were shrouded in living green toned colors. As our car sped along with a constant hum, I began meditating upon the blessings of the resurrection. “Spring, is to the earth, as Christ’s resurrection, is to man’s physical death, I mussed. As spring returns greenness and life to a sleeping plant world, so will the resurrection bring beauty and life to those who sleep in the grave.
The sound of the car’s engine brought me out of my trance and how beautiful the resurrection will be. The engine was beginning to labor; we had left the straight and level plain of roadway, and were ascending into the mountains. I quickly went from fifth gear to forth and as the car encountered a steeper slope and multiple curves, I was forced to gear down even more. Soon, all my attention was focused on just keeping the car on the road. As we converged upon the mountain with all its dangerous curves, we also faced numerous deep pot holes, and creeping semi trucks which, at times, brought our travel to a near stop. “How much more enjoyable our trip would be if the road was straight and without hazards”, I sighed. Without warning, the thought struck me, “It was you who chose to use this road, “my conscience was whispering. “You knew the mountains would be steep, full of obstacles, and slow traveling. You could have chosen a straighter road to get to Velico Turnovo, but you thought the shortcut over the mountains would get you there faster.”
Every elementary student knows that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The Savior taught that, “Straight is the gate and narrow the way that leads to eternal life.” Joseph Smith reminds us in D&C3:2, that, “God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his course is one eternal round.”
It is my prayer that we be not fooled in taking shortcuts in our journey back to our heavenly Father. By keeping the commandments, we stay away from those dangerous curves and pot holes that Satan has strategically placed in our paths, in hopes we will lose control, even lose our very eternal lives.
Elder Andersen
1 comment:
John, thank you for sharing this beautiful analogy. I was very touched by it. I think we need to learn to follow the straight path once we get out of this crooked one we are now on. You guys are an inspiration to me.
Love you both.
Post a Comment