Monday, July 21, 2008

Miscellaneous from Bulgaria


Nobody knocks on our door at 8:30 a.m., or so we thought. We opened our door to Tony, our landlord, who had this wonderful cake in hand. We did not tell him he was a month early. He is a very thoughtful person, who is so aware of us. He speaks a little English, wishes we would speak even that much Bulgarian. A former pro soccer player in Germany, he owns 7 apartments in our building and 3 on the Black Sea. We shared the cake with the missionaries that night at the branch.


An interesting fact about Bulgarians: They do not eat lettuce. The lettuce we have purchased was tough, tasteless. So we eat our salads as they do. Chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, a small amount of onions and green peppers with fresh parsley. We decided to grow our own garden. Yes, we have 4 pots with 2 cucumber plants and 2 tomato plants. They are on the patio next to our bedroom. This is also the place where we hang our clothes to dry in the summer. So, you can know the luxury of living in the past we are posting pictures of our wonderful patio.

2 comments:

Tyler and Julia said...

What a thoughtful gesture for Dad's birthday! In this case, better early than never, huh? I have hopes of growing some vegetables in a garden when we have a home of our own, but I've never had a green thumb so we'll have to see. The Black Sea sure looked beautiful, even though you had to leave quickly!

The Edwards Family said...

I think I'm only good at growing weeds. One day, I'll have a garden.