Sunday, September 14, 2008

Thoughts from Bulgaria.

Our activities have been rather mundane for the past several weeks as we have prepared for a new Seminary/Institute year. So here are some mental pictures for you to eschew; this is what we see as we have been traveling around the country.

Bulgarian Chicken - road game. Take a one lane road, cars parked on the sidewalks on each side and 2 cars heading for each other on streets no more that nine feet wide. Which one will slip into whatever space available at the last moment looses. (or wins). Only rule: if you don't yield, you should wave your thanks to the one who does.

Our Bulgarian "Oh, How I Wish" list. Oh How I Wish:
1. women would wear slips.
2. people use deodorant
3. they used bottles for their pills rather than the push out aluminum packets.
4. husbands and wives sat together in church, ( a few do.)
5. men did not relieve themselves on the side of the road in plain view.
6. there was a liter law.

SUPER SATURDAY
With the beginning of the new school year, Seminary and Institute also begins. We are holding Super Saturdays in order to get the students excited and to pass out materials for the new year. The assigned course of study is the New Testament. Each of our zones have few students, but each one is important. We teach, involve the students, provide lunch, teach some more, and then we play games at our Saturday events.
Teachers, Missionaries who will also teach, and students listening to the lesson.
Elder Mattinson, with Svetislav, Daria, Dida, and Ivan deciding how the NT was organized.
Dida, our Area Supervisor, a YSA with good English language skills is helping
Elder Andersen with translation with his lesson.
Where is the ring? Elder Anderson, in the center, is trying to find the one hiding it.


Here, students and teachers are playing Bible Bingo.
Enjoy your week; we love hearing from you.
E/S Andersen; John and Peggy

2 comments:

Tyler and Julia said...

I can see why you wish that men wouldn't just feel free to take care of such business on the sides of the road (YUCK!). I would also have a VERY hard time with people who don't wear deodorant. I have a very sensitive nose, and so I would have a great deal of difficulty with that one. It sounds like you & Dad both have been hard at work with your Super Saturdays, but they also sound like a lot of fun, both to prepare and to engage in. We're all doing well here. We've enjoyed all of the pictures, as always. TAKE CARE!
Love Tyler, Julia, Aubrey & Paxton

The Edwards Family said...

I love the "Oh, how I wish" list. I too would have a hard time with the two Julia listed. Thanks for the great examples you are to everyone. Love, the Edwards