Friday, December 26, 2008

Why Did the Bulgarian Chicken Cross the Road

Christmas Eve at the AndersensElders Kasabov, Andersens, Jacobson, Hammond, Kingsley, Jones, Wahlquist, Sisters Shuvalava, Wakefield, Dahle, and Peterson.
Elders Jorgensen, Mace and Andersen at Christmas Zone Conference.

Zone Conference Talk - Fear Not (All missionaries were required to prepare a 3 minute talk)

For centuries, the question has been asked, “Why did the Bulgarian Chicken cross the road?” I have searched for many months for an answer to this perplexing question. I have suffered fatigue, insomnia, self doubt and criticisms from every side in my search. I stand before you today to report my findings. The chicken, filled with fear and trepidation, crossed the road to meet with the missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I must tell you of the events leading up to this historic rendezvous. From the chicken’s own journal I learned that he was attracted to the missionaries because of their clean cut appearance and smiles. Other chickens in the yard had also noticed the missionaries, but they had heard from the head rooster that the missionaries were BIG TROUBLE and to avoid contact.

As I mentioned before, it was with great fear that the chicken crossed the road. On the morning of this historic crossing, just as the sun began winking, the chicken flew to his roost and with a loud ‘cock-a-doo’ announced, “Today I will cross the road and find for myself what these missionaries are all about.” His announcement caused no small stir among the chickens. All egg production seized. Clucking turned to ‘klackel’. His friends warned, “Don’t do it little brother, if you do, you’re sure to die.” Others just pointed their wing tips at him and threatened, “If you talk to those missionaries we’ll never speak to you again.” Many of the older hens pleaded, “You know how the Bulgarians drive; you’ll never make it across the road.” Then the head rooster cocked his head, twice, and the brood became deathly quiet. He crowed, “If you talk to those missionaries, you will go straight to that lake of burning fire where the sly fox waits with smacking lips.” The gasps of the hens caused several to faint.

The little chicken began to doubt his own abilities; even the hackles on his neck began to tremble. Then, he remembered the words of his dying mother, “Fear not little flock”, she had clucked, “I taught you not the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” With his heart pounding, and the words of his mother echoing in his ears, he hopped from the safety of his perch, and with one giant leap for all chickens, dashed across the road, and lived fear free for ever after; and happily, too, he testified.

Elder Andersen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who said chickens were chicken!! HA. What a great story, and even if the Elders had fried chicken for dinner, he would have died a happy soul! You two are the greatest!!